This literally takes about 5 minutes. If you think it’s ridiculous that stores sell hummus in tiny $5 tubs, your day is about to get a WHOLE lot better.
Basically the only thing you would actually need to buy is the chickpeas. You probably have everything else on hand already!
- 1 16-oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup of the liquid from the can of chickpeas
- 3-5 Tbs lemon juice (it all depends on taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed. If you don’t have one of these, buy one immediately. It will change your life.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
Optional: Some dried parsley and smoky paprika.
Seriously. Five minutes and you’re done.
- Drain chickpeas (except for reserved liquid).
- Blend chickpeas, reserved liquid, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and chili powder in blender or food processor.
- Pour onto a plate. Sprinkle with dried parsley and smoky paprika (or regular paprika). Eat with pita, warmed-up tortilla or crackers!
This stuff is delicious. It’s a great party appetizer, because it’s beautiful and everyone loves hummus! If you want to expand your hummus horizons even farther, check out the green hummus recipe.